Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Leaving Fiji Dec 19

A three mile jog around the smuggler’s cove area in Fiji this morning was really neat.  I ran past a hanger on the water and watched a seaplane take off but the more interesting part was the land around the hanger.  Pristine grass rolling fields with palm trees on calm Fiji water with perfect weather as the sun was rising … truly beautiful.  It really is a laid-back island life here.

Departing Fiji, the taxi driver that picked me up from smuggler’s cove really talked a lot and told me about how they get paid two dollars an hour, how the storm destroyed his house, and the government is corrupt.  How he works 7 days a week and gets 20 dollars a day.  I really didn’t know what to think of it all and couldn’t help but partially think he has his story down for tips.  I wonder how much of it is true, I did notice a lot of the locals showed common signs of not being very well off such as clothes are dirty, nails and feet are really rough, how they treat the children, what their houses looked like of the ones I could see (off the side of the road were shacks), and when I asked the resort staff how long they worked it 35 days on 8 days off.  The good news though is that everyone was happy and the work wasn’t too bad, they lived in paradise and were hopeful, positive people they kept saying.  I really wonder about the different lives we all lead, and nature, nurture, circumstance etc.  That’s a conversation for another day.

At the airport (Nadi – pronounced Nonndy) the public wifi was being a little too good at preventing me from getting another free 30 minutes so I decided to search for the VIP lounges I am always told I have access to due to my credit cards.  Something really interesting happened.  Can you guess what it is?  I want to build some suspense here…  What could it possibly be??  What happens at airport lounges?  How much further can I draw this out?  Are you still reading?
When I went to the first lounge, they were closed.  They had really weird hours, and it appeared to be quite nice so I was sad.  It even had that eucalyptus smell in the air though honestly it would probably just give me a headache after a few minutes.  I went on to the next lounge where the lady at the front door looked like she had a long day and just wanted to get off shift.  She looked at me, and pulling all her kindness together she asked me to please go to the other lounge that will open in 15 minutes.  As she was saying that to me another guest left saying this is crazy – kind of a snobby guest but also probably knew way more about lounges than I did.   I replied “really?” with my most confused and dignified look as if I was a master lounger to test her resolve…  She replied back in a “cut the bs” tone saying “yes, you’ll see” she said the magic words “you’ll see” I thought – alright I sure will.  So I went down the hall as she directed and sat outside the third lounge, which was gated and barred, shut.  The man inside directed me back to the second lounge but I told him in my cut the bs tone that she just told me to come to this lounge.  I offered to make peace and said all I want is wifi, which they gave me access to.  I was happy.  I did notice at the time they were out of the ordinary nice to me but I was starting to think that is just Fiji.
After a few minutes the guy who looked like he was in charge of the guy in charge opened the door and welcomed me in.  He shook my hand quite firmly and then everyone in the lounge was lined up as I walked in to greet me.  I thought to myself, dang Mitty this lounge treatment is amazing.  This was the first time I ever entered a lounge on my own credentials/by myself as truthfully when I go to the airport I’m usually running to catch my flights.  Everyone kept coming up to me saying sorry, and trying to give me stuff like foods, drinks, tell me stories, I had my bose noise cancelling headphones on and really just wanted to get on the Internet.  I was the first person served a drink they said (Fijian punch double checked to make sure it was non-alcoholic), first person at the buffet – everything was SO GOOD  - my first time having Fijian chicken and rice “nonya” (prounounced nun – ya and yes I made a joke – which I was happy that the person working spoke English and understood me as I’m used to people not understanding my jokes in foreign countries), pumpkin spinach soup, free fruits and Fiji water bottle (that’s the first time ever) to go as well.  I did think it slightly odd that they made such a big deal of this every day.  When they asked to take a picture with me and for my email I was really confused.  Apparently, I made history they said, as it was the first day for their lounge, ever, and I was the first guest.  You’ll see” indeed I thought.  Well, that’s a great first lounge experience if I ever could dream one up!  All other lounge experiences will have big expectations now.  Except the ones where I meet with Stephen, Cecilia and her mom, that was awesome and I miss you all bunches.

Also, checking in to the airline, the lady was rather unusually kind to me, and said “sir would you like extra leg room?”  Naturally, I said how much?  Because Fiji has indeed charged me for everything.  She said “free!”  So now as I sit on the plane taking off, I have massive amounts of legroom and the entire row to myself.  Apparently they had extra premium seats available and just wanted to give them to me.  I love the little things!  Jesse is helping me find a sim card that will give me data throughout Oz, and hopefully grabbing me from the airport (aka stoops from my berlin slideshow), I love OZ!!  (and I’m not even there yet)

It is not normal for me to have this burning excitement/happiness when I think about heading somewhere (Melbourne - wish I had more time).  I also wish I could go to Adelaide and can’t wait for Sydney.  Just the names call to me much like Buenos Aires does (and I loved BA), but I just don’t have time.  I’d have to cut out New Zealand entirely to go to Adelaide.  Perhaps I should??? No, New Zealand also calls… I feel like this trip is going to be amazing even if absolutely nothing happens – though that is impossible.  One way or the other, this trip is going to produce massive memories, without a doubt.   I am super excited to see what awaits and can’t remember ever feeling this way before a trip.

The Virgin Australia flight is taking off (I love the name “Virgin” and indeed they’ve been really nice, but come on, no plug ins, and no entertainment! Ahhhh).

and THE REAL VACATION BEGINS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sydney…. Just the name appeals to me so much.  Can’t wait to be in the harbor flying my drone probably breaking all the laws.  Hope I don’t get into too much trouble ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment