Friday, June 5, 2015

Africa > Paris Pit Stop

Departing Africa was quite simple, we left our work area and arrived at the airport in a ten to fifteen minute drive.  The airport has one interesting fact about it, the refugee camp is right next to it... It being the main airport in the capital of the country, a coworker said that is probably not the best image when arriving so it is of significance.  Once at the airport we took a right before security and were ushered into a room.  The lady was younger (20?) and attractive, she seemed to be telling me a massage was this way...  I hesitated and looked for my group...  I didn't see them down the hall to the left and it was long enough to where I figured if they went that way I would have seen them.  I half hesitantly took the right and went with the young lady, again, half suspicious - but for no reason, a few steps and a left turned into the vip room where we paid ten dollars (US) for entrance.  In the VIP room was just a few seats, maybe enough for 40 people.  They had beer and basic alcohols (one of each, vodka, whiskey, gin, etc... basic "well" drinks such as Johnny Walker Red Label) I think it was unlimited but I'm not sure, I did not partake.  The beer was called Castel, I took a picture of one.

We went through security and they took all my bandaids...  Very strange.  When I protested she took a bandaid out and held it to my mouth, I assume saying "I could gag someone with it..." - yeah ok...   She also tried taking my beard trimming scissors and tweezers, again, I assume for her personal use.  I used some distraction techniques and stole back my diamond coated tweezers (ok they might not be diamond coated but they are awesome) without her noticing... there was no way I was giving those up.  I realized each of the items in my shave kit had been acquired in multiple countries around the world and replaced if not exactly what I wanted.  I don't know where I got them anymore and I don't want to have to replace them - I like them all.  Those bandaids were the perfect kind, strong enough to last days even in water - I really enjoy buying things that fit the needs I have and often I find lesser quality or things for people less active than myself or just poorly made things...

Finally we get through security and we have another checkpoint.  This time the guy takes my lighters.  When I protest he gives me one back and says "One for me, one for you" with a wink.  I was flabbergasted and surprised at the concept of what just happened.  So basically he literally admitted it's ok for me to have them, he just wants one and he's the boss.  I looked around real quick at my surroundings, no one cared and I assumed he could probably do worse.  I thought, welcome to Africa, rookie.   Some of the other guys told horror stories of Afghanistan, and in the middle of a story our boss walked up and heard just a few words about really bad airports, immediately stating with confidence, "Afghanistan", suggesting he knew what they were talking about with only a few words about bad airports.  I said I haven't been there (and thought to myself, I don't ever want to go).  The idea of Iraq with snow and mountains never appealed to me (if I had a choice).

Once past security we boarded a bus and it took us to our plane.  Each place we went, african locals were cutting in-between us.  I kind of thought to myself, if some white people (the only white people in the airport) are together, doesn't it just make sense to let them stay together instead of cutting between them?  I haven't figured out the way or thoughts of every culture in the world yet.  The people I've been working with in Africa are really kind people.  They seem to accept the place they are at very well and go about their day fairly positively, each day, even though I think their conditions are quite unacceptable.  I learn from them each day that I can be kind even in austere and opressive conditions.  In the end I am continuing to learn I just want to be kind, and it seems one way or another, as much as I fight it, I will continue to come back to kindness and patience as priorities in my personality - I think I was born with it, or maybe it's Maybelline.

On the plane I fell asleep pretty quickly and it was a short, uneventful trip to Morocco.  Morocco had no internet and we got some basic food.  I had a chocolate croissant, ice cream, and some pistachios, only the ice cream was satisfying.  Jack said the yogurt was surprisingly sweet, and maybe up there with the best he's ever had.  I will try that next time, I already had enough sugar.

Arriving in Paris was fairly quick, just three hours from morocco.  I sat next to a guy reading a hebrew book and made conversation about my trip to Israel in a few days.  He happened to be with the mayor of the fifth largest city in Israel, and gave me his email to look him up for a music festival occurring while I am visiting.  I was very impressed with their kindness and how high quality of an interaction it felt like.  We arrived to Paris quite late (2230) and as we were checking into the Sheraton at Charles De Gaul Airport, the restaurant closed (2300).  We were left with limited choices for room service (many salads and one meat), and no alternatives besides a thirty minute and sixty dollar cab ride to paris.    I was half tempted to go, however decided not to.  Instead I had "penne" which turned out to be penne pasta with meatballs on top, the only option with meat, and called it a night.  I slept VERY well, and began my journey into paris in the morning.

Trying to get to Paris proper from CDG airport was a slight pain, my master card didn't work - they only accepted a specific euro master card for the automated ticket machines or coins.  The coin machines were out of service and the bank didn't give change which I had to double check because in plain view was a tray of coins!  The lady said confidently they did not give change.  It made no sense but I went on my merry way.  I went to the ticket counter and waited in line.  The line went quick and I bought two tickets, there and back.  It was very much like BART, and ten euro's each direction on separate tickets.  The train I took was RER B.

The train ride was a direct shot to Gare Du Nord, where I walked a pleasant two blocks to my hostel: St Christopher's Inn.  St Christopher's is a top notch hostel company I've gained trust in and it delivered yet again.  Though I was too early for check in, the hostel had lockers and I purchased a ride on the Big Bus Tour.  The lady told me the walk to the bus stop was a pleasant 15 minutes down Rue de Lafayette.  I said "so I should take a taxi?" and she laughed and said "No, walk, it's pleasant!" convincingly..........  I should have taken a taxi I sweat so much......  But I did get to see a lot and stop in the Apple store to check out the new watch so maybe it was ok.  I walked to "Opera Garnier" which reminded me of Phanton of the Opera with shampoo...  I eventually found the Opera Garner intersection/square whatever you want to call it but had no idea where in this massive open area the bus stop was.  I ended up catching a bus on the move in traffic and he let me in. I never found the bus stop - it must have been prior to my embarkation.

The big bus tour took me to more than I wanted to see, and I didn't have enough time.  I finished only a quarter of the tour, stopping at the Arc de Triumph (a quick 30 minute detour - BEAUTIFUL) and Eiffel Tower (hours, and hours, and not much more beautiful than the arc, but a lot taller).  I went to the very top of both, I think the Arc was around ten euro and the tower was around 15 euro - relatively cheap compared to Dubai's Khalifa ($100 ish).  The lines were horrendous !!!  It made me want to pay $100 if I could have the quality of the Burj and less crowds/waiting.  When I finally arrived at the top after changing elevators and waiting in I don't know how many lines, I only had a few minutes to snap pictures and head down so I could make it to dinner.  While in line I made friends with a family from Stuttgart.  Also when I checked in to the hotel a guy was coming from Stuttgart.  I wondered how big Stuttgart was?  My friend Lane is stationed there and I'm supposed to visit it eventually.

I arrived to dinner via taxi, a few minutes late.  Taxi's in Paris are difficult and expensive.  Each fair was no less than $10 for a short trip and more than $20 if I spent any time in the taxi.  They say paris isn't big but it seemed big.  I went all over and only saw three to four, maybe more, of their "arrangements" (they have 20 districts, called arrangements apparently).  I wanted to see the sunset at the Eiffel around 630pm but the sun was no where near setting.  I thought it a little odd.  In africa (similar time zone) it gets dark at 630pm.

Dinner was fantastic.  It was great spending time with Rachel's mom.  We went on a cruise down the river afterwards and it was late by the time I made it back to the hostel.  I had a few drinks, talked to Rachel, and went to sleep.

The following morning I had a great conversation with my Roommate Cole from north bay.  I added her on Facebook and took off to the airport.

At the airport in Paris, I just can't understand why the food is only ham and cheese sandwiches...  I am reminded often about things I truly enjoy about America.  Sometimes things remind me, other countries have everything that America has, they even do some things better, and some things remind me, America is my favorite, hands down.  The things that other countries do better, I appreciate, however, they just aren't quantifiably worth all the things that you lose.  Walmart, as bad as it is, is my case in point.  Something we may not necessarily view as a great thing, is awesome.  The airport food is so plentiful and amazing, it almost makes the experience enjoyable at times, certainly I am able to count on getting a decent meal (not great, and certainly pricy, but decent none the less) if I am in a hurry and want to save time eating during the unavoidable wait for the plane.

Now I am boarding to Israel, I am excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment