Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Israel 2, 3, 4

I have been quite busy on my trip in Israel, each day I had a big trip planned whether with a tour company or driving myself.  I also wanted to go to the beach and relax as well...

My first evening in Tel Aviv was spent with a hostel which was very fun.  They took us around as a group of 20+, showing us the coffee/bar Cofix where you can get coffee for a dollar and a beer for a dollar.  We went to a sort of night club where you had to be 25 for men and 23 for women, the legal drinking age is 18 but for whatever reason there are age restrictions for each establishment here.

The following morning (Sunday) I had a Jerusalem tour booked, however there was some kind of error and the company asked if I could do it another day, the only day I had free was Tuesday (today) and that's when I rescheduled it.  I ended up going to the beach all day on Sunday and swam in the Mediterranean - very warm and nice beaches, it was an enjoyable day and much needed.

Sunday evening I decided to check out a restaurant I found online, supposedly the #1 restaurant in Tel Aviv.  It took some time to figure out the maps because everything is in Hebrew, the name of the restaurant was "Hatraklin Bistro Meat and Wine" address: Heichal Hatalmud 4 (pronounced with a lot of Hebrew accent).  I have not learned any Hebrew except Schalom - meaning hello, and an annoying word "Ken" which I kept hearing everywhere I went and looking around...  It turns out my name means "yes" in their language...  Great.  I hear it all the time.  It's like being named Yes in America.

It seemed like more than half the restaurants on the top twenty were seafood, pasta, or beer gardens.  Hatraklin was not only number one on the list but the one I wanted to try the most (convenient).   Upon arrival I thought I was at the wrong place, the picture below will likely verify why.


From first greeting, the customer service was perfect.  They were very polite and anything I needed they were there, otherwise they left me alone and did not over service, or bother me.  I couldn't have asked for a better meal.  I'm not sure exactly what appetizer I had, but it was delicious.  Even the bread and butter was uniquely delicious.  I had a ribeye for around $40 and it was the best $40 ribeye I have ever had, all ingredients local, aged, and they said the meat comes from a cow that had their first baby (not sure what that means).  The wine was superb, local, and the dessert was really what got me.  I asked for the Vanilla Malabie but he recommended the home made salted chocolates with nuts.  He said they were like a home made snicker bar, which sold me.  When the dessert was brought out he brought out the Vanilla Malabie as well and said on the house, in case I liked it.  Hands down objectively speaking, the snickers bar was better I must agree, however the Vanilla Malabie was the best thing I've ever had- a combination of vanilla pudding, mocchi flavor, whip cream and Panna Cotta (all my favorites) resulting in a not too sweet, extremely delicious dessert with perfect consistency.  It was exactly what I wanted and I didn't even know it existed until I had it.  The waiter said it was not like the normal malabie made in the middle east, they had "made it better".  I am interested in trying more Malabie, and should probably google what it's made out of.

After dinner I was too tired to do anything - and too full.  I went to bed early and woke up early to do an all day Dead Sea trip + Masada with Jack (a junior in college I roomed with in the hostel).  

Monday morning I hit snooze several times and eventually made my way to Jerusalem.  It was very surreal driving through the hills.  I didn't expect Israel to look the way it did, now I know it has a lot more vegetation in some parts than I expected and looks a lot like blends of the Dakotas, and the South West of America.  The dead sea was a blast, Jack and I swam way out in the middle, much further than I would normally swim in a lake or sea, and we just floated.  It looked like we were standing up in the middle and there was no fear of anything biting us, we both agreed nothing could live in the dead sea due to how salty it was.  I tried the salt water by dabbing my tongue in it a couple times it was horrible.  The consistency was like oil but perfectly clear when you held it in your hand.  It was very warm and comfortable, I enjoyed it a lot - just floating without effort for an hour or two (there was no time limit).  

We finished up the Dead Sea trip with some mud caked all over us and went back to the road for Masada.  We made it just in time (Masada closes at 5pm) for the last cable car to the top, we watched the video and checked out the views.  All in all masada wasn't too impressive other than the dramatic video explaining how the Rebels all killed themselves rather than letting their kids and wives be taken as slaves, literal definition of live free or die.

While driving out of the parking garage the attendant told us we had a flat tire, so we put on a donut and drove around 80-100 kph the rest of the way back to Jerusalem.  I tried contacting my insurance company but it was very difficult and they said in the end they don't cover tires (first time that's ever happened).  I drove back to Tel Aviv at around 10pm after grabbing a beer and a burger with Jack in Jerusalem.  The views were very pretty in Jerusalem at night.  It has a hilly setting similar to San Francisco, but with an ancient appeal to it as if they've been there for thousands of years....  Which they have.

Tuesday was a boring day, I decided to sleep in for once and get the car tire fixed.  I did laundry at a local laundry mat and checked out the Azrieli Shopping Center (a type of mall).  I grabbed a food court burger and walked what I think is the entirety of the mall without finding one good place to buy some khaki pants and a shirt, or some ice cream.  How disappointing.  Right now I am debating what I want to do for the evening and tomorrow I have the Wine Tour with pickup and guide.  There are supposed to be three of us and the tour is called "Judean Hills Boutique Wine Tour".  I am excited to get some history and views while trying wine from a region that has been making wine for thousands of years.  

Here is one of my favorite pics so far of the israel trip of me overlooking the dead sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment