Saturday, June 6, 2015

Israel, Day Zero to day .5

I arrived late - my plane kept getting delayed and even had a fire truck waiting for it when it landed.  There was no information offered to us.  It was Friday and there was some kind of holiday on Friday so no other planes were landing and the Airport was empty for the most part.

I got stopped by the customs lady who had no sense of humor and took her job quite seriously.  She said they had some questions to ask about my Iraq visas.  I was met by another man after a 30 minute wait who said "prove to me your story" - "I want to feel it".  I actually thought this guy was kind of funny but I didn't dare laugh because he kept using the words "or I will send you back to where you came from" quite loosely.  I had heard about this before but never thought I would have to prove my story and make someone "feel it".

We turn in our badges when we leave, I left my work credentials in my bag on base, and I don't carry anything about work with me other than my passport because I have to have it.   I found some things on my iPad I had used for work and pro accounts that he was satisfied with, he asked me several questions and questions about my answers, he was very proficient and knew what he was doing.  After I answered his questions without hesitation, he let me go through.

An hour after the security stop, I was at the car rental company.  The internet was not really working and I couldn't pull up my email from the car company which I had saved in my predownloaded travel folder...  Murphy's law I guess, every email worked except that one.  The guy at the first counter let me connect to his hotspot and it pulled up my car information - Avis.  The avis desk was empty and after a five minute wait a man appeared.  I had to have insurance - he said full coverage for a week was $400 and basic (comprehensive) was $300.  I sighed heavily because I already have car insurance but it doesn't work here.  I always get full coverage anyway so that wasn't the question - I just don't like paying $400 for a week of car insurance I feel like that is ridiculous.  Once I requested full coverage I asked what the total was going to be, and he laughed and said $400.  I was a bit confused but he reassured me the total price was the quote, not for just insurance like I had thought.  This made me much happier and the people in line behind me laughed as they followed along, clearly the english barrier led to an error on his side of identifying the total vs insurance prices - but I was relieved to learn I was not paying $400 for insurance alone.

I got in the car and drove around, happy to be on the correct (right) side of the road, unlike london, I quickly realized most signs were in hebrew...  Things were a little confusing but I had preloaded directions on my phone and navigation was working so I had no trouble finding my apartment.


Thankfully the person with the keys was very kind and still up at 0400 in the morning after I arrived (the plane and airports took forever, each plane was delayed more than an hour and the security/car rental took hours).  I entered the apartment caught up on emails and texts and immediately went to get some food, I was starving.  Walking a short distance around the corner from the apartment it was clear I was in a good area, people were still out and about and as far as I could tell all spoke english and were very nice to me.  I could get to like this place.

One thing I noticed was the area had a lot of cats walking around at night, which was random but stuck out.  The pizza and beer I got were delicious, for four in the morning I couldn't ask for more.  I ate my food and caught a few smiles from women when I ordered my food because I assume they heard me speaking english, a welcome change as some places I've been don't like english as much, or even if they do, they don't always show it.  In fact some places want to kill us...  It is nice to be in a friendly place, so far.

I went back to the apartment, brushed my teeth, then passed out, fast.  I woke up lazily about six to seven hours later deciding to stop thinking and go for a run.  I wanted to do a quick little run with some pushups but once I started on the boardwalk I just kept running like Forrest Gump.  The result was about five miles later in Jaffa I felt like I was going to die, it was noon now and I hadn't drank water in over 12 hours, what was I thinking (ps I am in horrible shape from the food in Africa).  I walked around old Jaffa for a bit and took in the sights/culture, I was starting to feel the beginnings of heat cramps and heat injury.  I looked around for water but wasn't so bad that I had to ask a restaurant.  I like to think I have an image to represent when traveling to foreign countries and I want to keep the American image strong - we can take care of ourselves and know our limits, we don't go around begging for water the first time we get thirsty.  I've done this before, I'll live, I don't need handouts and I can last longer than most people on earth.  (In my mind anyway).  I will admit this was further than I wanted to push myself, I still had at least four miles back and the sun was just getting stronger.


Yes my watch confirmed it, exactly 9 miles when I stopped the gps.  Starting at 1130am.

I finished the walk through Jaffa getting some good scenery in - I will have to go back in the rental car and take a picture of some benches overlooking Tel Aviv near the old church or whatever it is on top of Jaffa (the picture everyone posts of Jaffa).

The rest of the way back I did a slow jog (9-10 minute pace to be exact) and it was painful, I was pushing my limits and pacing myself appropriately, estimating the temperature and my reserve energy left.  It feels good knowing what you're capable of.  By the end of the run I had timed it perfectly and was out of gas and energy, it's been a long time since I've felt this way... there is no need to push yourself this hard unless you randomly decide to keep running at noon in Tel Aviv...  but I suppose I knew I could so I did.

Now I am back at the apartment downing water, taking my malaria meds, typing this up and cooling down in AC.  I am about to hop in the shower or get some food, not sure which order, and then head to a hostel to see what tours/group activities I can get into.  Hostels have a large amount of traveling on a budget information too valuable to pass up.

I think I'm really going to like Israel.  I already really like it.  Great vibe, great history, very good looking women, good food, good quality about it, and not many downsides so far.  We'll see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment