Sunday, January 14, 2018

Cairns - Great Barrier Reef


Three days here was awesome.  Besides the crocodiles ruining beaches, and the humidity/rain/heat, I truly enjoyed this little beach town.  Tourism and travel shops were everywhere for the largest attraction to Australia (drawing 8 million visitors each year): the Great Barrier Reef.  Although we had technically snorkeled the Reef already on whitsunday islands, Scuba dives in cairns showed us much clearer views of coral with much more life surrounding it.

Upon arrival at the Great Barrier Reef, I found out that the trip manager provided me with incorrect information: we were able to use go pros (I had left mine behind because I was told we wouldn’t be able to) and unofficially they said I didn’t have to wear the stinger suit that protects against jellyfish stings.  I was curious why we had to wear them when they didn’t protect our hands, face, or feet.  Supposedly the jellyfish that can kill you were so small you couldn’t see them, so I didn’t understand why if they were so small, wouldn’t they kill you if they hit your hand or face?

After talking with a few people (including staff/experienced locals) and them ensuring me I would be fine, I decided not to use the suit.  They put my dive gear on and I sat waiting for my turn to dive.  While I waited, I began looking around and noticing every single person had the suit on, including every staff member.  I began to debate the logic of my decision and wondering why no one cared if I wore the suit or not but everyone else was wearing it.  I started thinking I was definitely going to die, but didn’t have time to worry too much as they were directing me to jump in the water telling me I’d be fine.  I jumped in and immediately saw hundreds of jellyfish, immediately regretting the decision but if the instructor didn’t have a problem with me dying then I guess I wouldn’t either – he remained calm, so I did as well.  When a jellyfish got close I pointed to it and made the hazardous sign with a kind of questionmark at the end.  He grabbed it and threw it at me, not harmful.  That made me feel a lot better.  I grabbed a bunch of them and had fun bouncing them around.  Our dives went really well, snorkeling did too, the reef is amazing.  I didn’t get stung and I’ve successfully dived another suitless dive.

As many people were finishing their travels in cairns, each day was someone’s last day to celebrate and spend with them.  We stayed up late and woke up real early, seeing several cairns logos aptly stating “sleep is not an option”.   I got very very little sleep in cairns and had a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment