Sunday, January 14, 2018

Queenstown


The flight from Melbourne to Queenstown went by fast; I put on the noise cancelling headphones, fell asleep, and was in Queenstown landing before I knew it.

My first impressions of New Zealand were very good ones.  The weather was nice, a bit chillier than Australia but a welcome change as Australia was super hot and i have had enough sun.  The landscape was beautiful, this country is just truly beautiful.

I caught a super shuttle at 11:30ish for 24 nz dollars and got to my hostel around noon after a short ride and many stops dropping off other passengers at their hotels/hostels before mine.  I couldn’t check in until 2:30 but I was able to book a bungy jump for 5 pm and get oriented to the city.  I did my laundry and got some food, then decided to head to the bungy jump early.  For around $200 nz I was able to jump off the ledge and a second jump was only $40- I was planning on taking advantage of that deal to do a backflip the second time.  I had to buy a gondola ticket for around $30 which also included two Luge tickets which I figured out was a little gravity fed race track at the top.

The gondola ride was stunning, as were the views up top.  Once you arrived at the top you are greeted with a little restaurant and gift shops with all glass walls overlooking Queenstown - magnificent.  To my surprise again there weren’t too many people blocking the great views.  Almost everyone was busy having fun and doing things rather than sitting around looking at the view.  The lines for the luge were quite long, people were busy walking around, and people were busy bungy jumping.  As I made my way to check in for the bungy, I happened to catch someone else jumping out- the view was stunning but his form was terrible and I laughed historically as I caught it on film accidentally while filming the view.  On my way down I ran into the guy who was coming back after jumping.  I showed him the footage and he laughed- he said he was terrified - which he found odd because he was a pilot.   He noticed my shirt that said brotherhood of the fallen, a tribute to police officers, and he asked if I served, mentioning he served as well.

My bungy jump experience went pretty quickly.  I hopped in a harness, looked at the view from the platform in admiration, was asked if I was ready, clipped in three times, and told to wave to three cameras.  Then they said: ready?  3,2,1 jump!  I ran off the platform and in my mind executed a flawless swan dive.  The jump off the platform was just like jumping in the military- easy- but then the feeling immediately hit me...  I made a mistake... why was I falling needlessly through the air... I hadn’t thought that far ahead and if I had, I might not have jumped.  The rope was attached between my legs and when I hit the bottom I was rather parallel with the ground, causing the rope between my legs to tighten super fast and some discomfort was felt.  Probably one of my least favorite experiences ever, falling uncontrollably and then a rope snapping between my legs.  Bouncing several times over Queenstown - I hate heights.  But I did it.  They asked if I was going to jump again for the big discount and I said politely, no that will be my only jump.... lol.  I went back to the hostel and went into hiding for a couple hours contemplating my life decisions after being scared half to death.  I guess it wasn’t that bad but I just don’t need that kind of rush anymore, brings back bad memories and I’m perfectly happy just watching from the ground.  I enjoy calmness, stability, peace, etc.

I ended up going for a run and then checking out the downtown area, celebrating my successful bungy.  I found out that someone had died earlier in a skydiving accident and that skydiving was closed - a friend at the hostel was scheduled to skydive the next day but couldn’t go.  It was quite big news (Eventually I would learn that the person that died is my cousin’s tennis partner’s son – thought and prayers to the entire family – it is a small, and connected world that we share).  I ended up staying out much later than I thought I would and got very little sleep waking up an hour late for my bus trip to doubtful sound.  I ended up booking a flight over milford sound instead which was what I originally wanted to do anyway, and enjoyed the magnificent views from the plane and the boat once we were in the sound.  I flew in with a family (mom dad and son) who when I asked if they wanted me to take their picture they insisted I get in the picture with them.  It was very enjoyable to get to know them and their family business in north eastern Australia as we enjoyed on of my favorite days I’ve ever had.  On the flight to the sound we only had four passengers and the pilot, in a 10 passenger plane, which I thought was odd.  We ended up picking up five more passengers who purchased one way tickets back.

Although I wasn’t in my best form, from staying up way too late the night before, everyone really seemed to enjoy my company and talked to me quite a bit.  I found them all very interesting but I was a bit curious why when I am in my worst talking shape do people want to talk the most?  Perhaps it was just the scenery, or some other coincidence, regardless the conversations were overflowing and enjoyable.  I met many people from all over, and everyone was having a magnificent time.  I learned that the weather was too poor to do this tour for several days, many had given up, I had gotten very lucky.  Not only was the weather permitting, it was amazing.  I couldn’t have asked for better weather this entire trip- well except for one particular walk across cairns, which poured rain on me, but that’s another story.

When I got back my friend from Costa Rica and I went for dinner.  I asked what she wanted to eat and she said anything with meat- as anyone knows that is exactly what I want so we found a steakhouse and got some meat!  It was fantastic.  We stayed up chatting for a while afterwards and then got some sleep, both of us had early mornings - I was heading to Christchurch and she had a milford sound tour which I was excited for her to see.

There were more people in Queenstown than I had time to visit/ talk to.  What a lively, loving, just amazing little place filled with friendly fun loving people.  It couldn’t have been more perfect except that company wouldn’t refund me for missing their tour... long story short I booked on short notice and they said I must cancel more than 24 hours ahead of time (I bought with 12 hours notice).


No comments:

Post a Comment