Monday, May 6, 2013

One day in the uk

I started the day with breakfast in Norway, walked through the city center to catch a bus to the airport.  In London, grabbed a car at heathrow international and ate lunch at Stonehenge.  Took in a few deep thoughts at this old monument then headed to Oxford for two dinners and two beers.  I walked the campus and found great location after great location.  Oxford has been a place of fairy tales for me since I read my first books about it, and it didn't disapoint me one bit in person.  The day couldn't get any better right?  How bout a cruise into London for a sunset, then a drive through  the city as everyone is going to bed and there is no traffic...  I think back to all the major cities I've driven into and watched the night reflections and bright lights off beautiful cars...  Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Fran, LA, San Diego, Vegas, Phoenix, Minneapolis, NYC manhattan, Charlotte, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Raleigh, Washington, D.C., Richmond, Knoxville, Austin, San Jose, Panama City beach, Tampa bay, Daytona, Jacksonville, little rock, myrtle beach, Atlanta, auburn, and the list keeps going...  Today was a quiet day for the soul - reflection of history and education, driving for the first time in a long time through the countryside of the uk and into its largest city.  No tolls, no fees, easy parking (maybe not the two hour parking), and walking wherever my eye takes me.  An early flight in the morning is on my mind...

As soon as I landed I had to take a bus to my main car rental facility- the bus driver said it was hands down the nicest day that London has had all year.  Later, driving, the radio said it was the hottest day of the year (backing up what the bus driver said).  I was told I could tell everyone it was hot in London and they would think I've gone mad.  It was hot in London, I couldn't even wear my lightest north face pullover- it was all tshirt today.

Once I arrived to my vehicle, I realized I would have to shift left handed, while driving on the wrong side of the car and road.  I was so confused for the better part of my driving and I think I had a small headache the entire time from my brain fighting its natural reaction to put my eye and there for the car on the left side of the lane, right side of the road.  Several times I put the left tire on the noisy strip warning I was going off the road because of where my position was compared to muscle memory.  And on a few occasions people gave me extremely weird looks as I drove down the wrong side of the road slowly taking pictures or looking at things ... Unknowingly on the wrong side.

I couldn't believe they just let me drive , I figured everything out but they didn't even tell me common problems or anything - just gave me keys.  Didn't even ask if I could drive a stick.

I thought about skipping Stonehenge because it took so long to get the car, in fact I headed off towards Oxford content in skipping Stonehenge but my lack of skills in reading the stupid roundabouts shot me out towards Stonehenge.  I was too lazy to turn around and just went with it- a good call.  Stonehenge was pretty cool and a beauty of a drive.

From Stonehenge I had another beauty of a drive to Oxford.   The forests (if you call them that) and the grassy fields were quite pristine.  There wasn't a lot of mowed grass or landscaping but just natural beauty.  I thought back to the conversations I had with my father about trees and how to properly space them etc, kill the undergrowth, and noted that these trees looked perfect.  I doubt someone did all the work but marveled at how it could happen naturally.  Maybe someone did?  I really doubt it.  The UK just kind of gave off a natural and pretty feel, the old stories I've read and the rich history of the country definitely helped set the scenery.

Arriving in Oxford it was difficult finding parking - two hour free parking presented itself right away but how annoying was it to get back in two hours when you're site seeing?  I couldn't pay for more - I just had to move my car or take a 150$ fine...  I contplated it but its just too much.  After 630 I found free parking right downtown which was nice.  I wandered and wandered and found pub after pub park after park, old building after old building.  The Thames (I think) was pretty and the campus was full of people.  I walked into Christs church even though it was closed to visitors (with the guards blessing) to take some pictures.  It was beautiful.  I saw a bunch of people inside and asked what they were up to.  He said they had just finished a service and the others lived here.  "Lived here," what the heck I didn't comprehend that.  He laughed and said it is a college after all, people live here.  Everyone went pretty non chalantly about their way and were real friendly and diplomatic.  I would put bets that every single person loved that campus.  It may be small to live in but visiting was awesome, and it was a quick drive from London.

Driving into London was the easiest "huge" city I've ever driven into.  It does help its 1030 on a Monday night , but even on the wrong side of the road it was a quiet peaceful no traffic no toll stroll.

I sit here a few feet away from the famous bridge, which is magnificently lit up and my next destination...  I will fall asleep soon.  Good night from London.


No comments:

Post a Comment