Friday, May 17, 2013

Venice

As I stated earlier I had gotten very lucky flying into venice and met two americans.  My time in venice was very enjoyable.  The overall attitude and feel of Venice is very relaxed and very romantic.  I did not come to Venice for the romance but in a weird way I think everyone that comes to Venice actually comes for the romance...  You hear about Venice and it was just a place I really wanted to go, but I could not tell you why...  I am very glad I went, I had one of the most romantic trips!  So cute and innocent, we went to the square at night and listened to the dueling classical music, watched people in love, etc...  I had still not thought about love, my brain is JAMMED with information, I still have not had time to think about what has happened or talk to the people I met from the first destination.  Each destination has been one right after another right after another, and I knew I would not have enough time to appreciate them so from the moment I got off the plane or train I took every second to take in the city... not wasting a minute.  I used the maps and navigation on my phone and rarely got lost, I went from point a to point b with ease and hit everything I wanted, so efficient, it was like I was in the military.  Venice was the off switch, and nothing was registering, I was like a 12 year old and here in front of me was a very pretty, nice, young woman and I did not really think about guy, girl, venice, until it hit me right in the face.

The following day I woke up late, slept in so well, and only got out of bed because I knew there were things I should do.  I should see SOMETHING in Venice...  So I went to the places the girls talked about, typical site seeing stuff.  I went up the tower, went to the bascilica, asked locals about sites, asked other tourists about sites, went on the boats, went to the guggenheim, went to the places the websites talked about all that.  Somewhere in the venice trip I got an email requiring me to come back to work early...  This is a whole nother subject but, on that second day in venice, sitting on a really creaky, poor quality dock in the grand canal, with a couple crabs peaking out of the water on the stairs, I was tied to the internet I had purchased for 8 euro.  I needed to do so much to ensure I could get all my flights ready and at the same time I had my travel representative on skype instant message and it had to be done at that time since I had the person on instant messaging (it is rare we catch each other and usually we talk through emails which is not the most efficient way to do business and confirm plans).  I sat there for three hours, talked to several airlines, watched so many tourists walk by, and was starving.  I joked about how I was in Venice but it really was kind of cool to think, I am in Venice...  Venice just has this awe to it.

Back to the Romance.  I do not like seafood, I just don't.  So, it was difficult for me to find anything but pasta, and I was pasta'd out.  I went to the first american place I found ... the hard rock cafe, and had a delicious steak.  The steak was 22 euros, and the margaritas were something near 16 or 18 euros.  I couldn't really figure out how that worked.  I was content with going to sleep at this point but I had a message from one of the girls and we met up just the one, I found out she didn't have a boyfriend, and the other one was too tired.  Fate was on my side for something I was not looking for, I had investigated some things I wanted to do (I think that is just how my mind works, I always investigate and think) and let her in on the adventures.  We had many options as this was a new city (to us) and I was too lazy to follow through on all my plans.  I wanted to walk in the park that Napolean created, mainly because well Napolean created it...  But the locals really discouraged it due to mosquitos and it just not being that great compared to the other options.  The guy at my hotel desk was named Vincent and he had recommended many great things.  In fact Vincent was really awesome and my travel buddy thought he was the cutest old guy ever.  He was so nice, full of recommendations that all turned out very nice.  Wherever we went when he recommended us, each person there knew who he was, and would greet us as an extended friend when we arrived.  Thanks Vincent!!  (I checked in to the hotel to remember the name and eventually leave a comment about how great it was on tripadvisor=)

My phone was dying.  I tried to navigate the streets without it, but I was failing.  I had to find wifi (which took a while) to search for the hotel the girls were staying at, once I found it I saw her and she said ''perfect timing'' which I thought was impossible seeing as how I took forever, but it worked out.  We walked and talked, and at this point I really was in the Venice romance chapter, it hit me, I asked if she had a boyfriend and she said no and everything made sense.  The chemistry was in the air ... as I said before travel brings out romance, but travel to Venice has an added element of it.  She grabbed a soda, I got a drink, and we sat down at one of the dirty docks, in fact it was so dirty I put my jacket down for her to sit on so she didnt ruin her clothes...  And there we sat so happily, so ''romantically.''  The first police officer helped us sit in a safe spot, but when his replacement came we got kicked off the dock, us rebels.  We returned our glasses and went on our way, it was getting late and we both had to leave in the morning.  I dropped her back off at the hotel and I think the best part is we didn't even kiss.  Venice really brings out the classiness of a person...

I am sure the conversation was one of my favorites, for many reasons.  Many of the conversations over this trip have been so nice, so diverse, so intelligent.  I love meeting quality people, and in traveling, often you find such people who are also traveling.

I went to bed, woke up to a rainy rainy day.  Venice was sad to see us go.  The girls had left early in the morning and I did not see them, I set my train a lot later knowing I wanted to sleep in and not having any sites to see that is exactly what I did.

My time in Venice was so nice and simple.  Things just worked out with no real effort and if I tried my hardest I couldn't have had a better time.  I want to comment on how awesome my nights were, how lucky I was...  I did not really want to spend any time with anyone as I was pretty burnt out but yet I have one of my most memorable conversations magically appear literally out of thin air. 

I must finish this post now to have time to go see the tower of pisa!  Good night from Pisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment