Sunday, May 5, 2013

Stavanger sat-mon

I don't have a ton of time to write this but I wanted to get it posted before I arrive in London.  Currently it's Sunday night around 1045pm.  The sun set really late here and it was daylight way past 9pm.

It was nice to see someone I knew...  Oslo and stavanger both had hot points for Internet that I paid for... I think it was 8$ for a month?  I'm not sure - maybe they got 16$ out of me tops but I got to communicate with my friend really easily so it was worth it for me.  She was waiting at the airport when I landed, just as pretty as she always was.  Line, was a good friend of mine in Washington state, we hung out with the same group of people and her good friend was my boss who ended up dating my good friend but then everything changed and everybody moved.  Before it all changed it was really really fun ...  And we had all just turned 21.

I took more pictures landing in stavanger than any other flight, ever.  It was really nice in my opinion..  Dark blue and cold looking ...  Nice but maybe not where I would want to live - maybe too cold for me.  I only say this because I'm sure the Norwegians don't mind.  While I was here they were very nice but I think a few of them had said they never met an American before.  I couldn't believe it until I saw the prices.  It was really really expensive.  I didn't really feel it as much as a normal person visiting would because Line picked me up and I stayed in her guest room for the first night.  She got free tickets and into the club for free because her boyfriend was in the security business.  Once I started paying for things I noticed heavy dents in my bank account.  A gas station burger fries and peanuts cost me 25$.  Three waters cost me 18$.  5 drinks (one for each of us) cost me 90$.  A sushi dinner for four - split in half - cost 110$ and I got the cheaper half.  It is just really expensive and an unwelcome change from Eastern Europe.  I'm glad my stays here were shorter!  I am broke in these countries.  

I had a really relaxed night with Lines two neighbors and two more of Lines friends.  It was three guys and three girls and we kind of stuck in our groups (Lines boyfriend was working).  Us guys had fun, I didn't really know them very well but I think they are just really good people if I had to say anything about them that's what I would say.  Good ol boys.  We entertained ourselves by just keeping to ourselves and kind of trying to dance with local girls.  I saw plenty of ethnicities but I doubt any were American, I'm not sure but I can usually spot an American and I didn't spot or hear any.  I could tell people were confused when I didn't speak Norwegian, and for example on the ferry or anywhere I went thre was no English translations.  I couldn't even open a door because it was all in Norwegian, I didn't want to set off an alarm and I had to push the button to open it...  I tried everything with no luck and finally just hit the damn button not knowing what would happen - success.

We had agreed on waking up at ten to go hiking the next day.  That didn't happen (glen didn't even go with us).  I was the only one awake but didn't want to bug Line or her boyfriend so I waited until around 1130 for the princess to wake up.  We finally picked up her boyfriends sister Martine (both names are pronounced Leena, Marteena, the Norwegians have odd spellings) and headed to the climb site.  The drive was really cool - I took my first ferry and snagged some nice pics.  Stavanger is different than anywhere I've been; it has some similarities to a lot of places but just nothing has all of what stavanger has.  I wonder if Alaska does?   I was glad I made it to see Stavanger for many reasons, mostly Line's friends, showing me stavanger from a locals point of view which is the best way to see any place.  Not to wonder if you've missed something, knowing that someone who has lived there is telling you the best spots or taking you where they want to go/where they think you should go.

I enjoyed hiking with Martine and also enjoyed the conversation about living in Norway vs America.  She was pretty and well educated, into business and set high goals which i have no doubt she Will work hard to Reach.  I found out she went to the school I am visiting outside of London, I was really impressed!  Again and again I will keep saying the people are so interesting and I didn't think they would play as large of a role as they are in my trip.  I kind of wanted to be alone and just sitesee, but part of travel has been the people, and now I'm a big fan of meeting people.  I go out of my way in fact (as I did in Sweden) to meet people that I think are good people.

We grabbed sushi on the way  home and I are a lot of things I never had before.  It was expensive but it was also good (I didn't taste any seafood)..  There were no asian people working at the sushi shop, I don't think I've ever seen a sushi shop without an asian working there ?

Finished up laundry and headed to the hotel, Line had been a very generous host and she had to work the following day (Monday).  It was around 915 pm and the sun was still bright as day, must be something to do with how far north we are.  I asked Line and she said it had something to do with the days of the year, some days they have a lot more sun than others.  Maybe even 24 hours of sunlight.

I got to the hotel around 10 and it is nice to have my own space!  Relaxation begins.  I have been working on this blog for a few hours and I must go to sleep.  I am so glad I came to Norway and met Line and her friends.  Stavanger I will always remember.

London in the morning (though I plan on seeing sites outside of the city).  Good night from Norway.


No comments:

Post a Comment