Sunday, April 21, 2013

Berlin day 3

I was last mentioning a restaurant search... For this I decided to look on yelp.  Yelp had very few restaurants in the area that drew my interest.  I was about to give up when I saw Schneeweiß...  Schneeweiß had some reviews speaking of television shows and magazine articles...  I knew this was my choice and it was only a half mile or so away from the hostel.  

The walk had a lot of restaurants and bars I never knew existed... The Main Street was pretty obvious but these were much smaller streets with more housing units and shops opening up their doors to the streets.  Lots of people were eating and drinking in open air on the sidewalks at these restaurants.  Dedicated to finding my yelp recommendation I turned off those back streets to a residential street and thought my directions were wrong - nothing looked like a restaurant and it said bucher where I thought the restaurant should be.  There were a couple vacant stores and I thought perhaps it had closed.  Something told me to check the end of the block and when I got there I saw the restaurant- peeked my head in and saw a very classy all white restaurant with well dressed professional looking people.  I had an apple core and could not find a garbage anywhere.  I even went outside...  Then I asked the guy who greeted me if I could throw away the core...  He said why?  Give to me. It was kind of awkward I just looked at him like you're going to take the apple core I just chewed and slobbered all over?  Why not just tell me where the garbage is?  Well he stuck out his hand and so I gave him the apple core... he kind of walked away a little confused like "why did I just take that, yuck it's all wet."

Moving on - I asked if I could sit and they gave me the last seat near the bar.  I knew from the reviews that the menu was in German and asked what they recommended.  The bartender gave me some choices and I picked the grape / carrot appetizer with prime beef dinner.  He matched me with some wines and I had one of the best dinners I've ever had.  I don't think I normally would eat half the things in front of me but the way they cooked it I ate everything and had to refrain from licking the plate.  Wow.  I had asked about a couple of the bottles I've never seen before and the bartender gave me samples... So good...  I had a couple more drinks, dessert and asked for my bill.  It was 40 euros for a three course meal two glasses of wine and two drinks of the best alcohol I could find, at a fully booked top notch restaurant.  I was blown away and he said welcome to Berlin and gave me the business card.  I gave the staff my best compliments and left so full and sad I couldn't eat again.  I knew it was going to be a good night and I just felt so much better...  Refreshed and alive again.

The night went just as well.  We decided to hang out at a concert but didn't go inside.  Where the line would be in America we sat outside around a fire and drank beers.  We could have and should have brought our own beer.  I really enjoyed the company of a girl from France I sat next to - I want to say the French people I've met are making a good impression on me...  But I guess I have only known them for a few days.  I went back and was going to make some eggs when a friend came in and made some for me.  Delicious.  I like when other people cook well, and went to bed very happy with the food I had that night.

The next morning we had made plans to go to mauer park (spelling) and see the big flea market and the Berlin Wall.  There was also supposed to be performances etc and a type of mini amphitheater where amateurs performed and were encouraged every Sunday.  I saw one of the coolest basketball half courts I've ever seen.  It was kind of in the ground a little with the amphitheater directly behind it and two ledges acting as large stairs or seats.  The edge was packed with people and the amphitheater behind had around a few hundred more.  I asked one of the guys if anyone could play and to my surprise he spoke perfect English.  We shot for teams and won like 6-10 games in a row.  Basketball in Berlin....  In pants.  I said good bye and rejoined my friends for a while- the flea market was alright but didn't have any good food.  I had a weird beef ethnic wrap and sat with my French friends for a few hours listening to music.  It got pretty cold out and I knew I had to do laundry so I said good bye to my French friends and headed home to the hostel alone - also still had to look at train tickets to prague for tomorrow (Monday).  Along the way home I stopped at one of those street side restaurants and had a good, authentic dinner.  I haven't seen any normal restaurants other than subway McDonald's Burger King (if you call those restaurants) - no olive gardens or familiar names that I saw/remembered.  I'm ready to get out of Berlin and move on with my trip - ps train tickets are double the price if you buy same day which is a minor pain...  Super tired and looking forward to 8 hours of sleep tonight - Prague in the morning (I think)...

No comments:

Post a Comment