Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dubai 2

Waiting for my flight I met with a few couch surfers at their weekly meeting.  I didn't really think it was going to be much but it was quite a conversation between educated and fluent English speaking representatives from Iran Iraq Pakistan and other middle eastern countries.  I listened as they explained their history and how the Middle East was connected.  I was surprised to learn the royal families were very poor (I have yet to research this but I'm assuming they are correct) and then the British and Americans started developing the oil which made them very rich.

Also I forgot to note that when I was in the mall I had to connect to the Internet so I stopped at a cafe and sat down.  The mall started to shake and I thought it was normal but then one by one people started asking me if the room was shaking.  It felt pretty cool but how could I know what was normal or not.  Apparently there was an earthquake - my first one that I remember anyway.  Not sure how big it was as I have nothing to compare to, mild shaking, for 20 seconds or so.  Good thing I was sitting perfectly still, I had to look at my water to double check.

Paris degaull airport is not as English friendly.  It didn't seem obvious at first but it is now, there's a lot of French people here.  Though I sat next to a couple from San Diego that went to a travel convention in dubai.  Nothing out of the ordinary here in degaull - the bathrooms were very nice...  The passport line was quick (though its like 5 am).

The conversion rate was a little bad..  It's 1.3 usd to euro but they buy dollars for 1.14 and sell them for 1.4 something.  I think I just got it at my banks cost by pulling out of the ATM.

Heading to the room.


No comments:

Post a Comment