Friday, April 19, 2013

Berlin day one

Arriving in Berlin was the first time I didn't really need a passport.  No customs (I assume because it was from France).

It took me a bit to figure out where my stop was on the bus from the airport.  I was looking for the txl line and found out it departed every 5 minutes or so.  In order to board I needed to buy a ticket but the machines did not take any credit card from America.  I had to go inside the airport again to purchase a ticket as I had only a 50euro bill, which was too large for the machines outside.  Once on the bus i kept asking people where the alexanderplatts stop was- they just kept saying stay on the bus (I had to again kind of "go with it" as I really had no idea where my stop was).  When the bus ended , conveniently, I was at the right stop (I guess that's what stay on the bus means).

There was some construction and it was difficult to find my hostel.  Once I figured it out the first thing I did was meet my roommates and then go for a run.  Berlin kind of reminded me of Minnesota when I was running.  It was a lot like i thought it would be (in a good way).  Though I found myself kind of checking over my shoulder more than usual, there is graffiti everywhere and it has a very "underground" feeling and look to it (probably more so the area of where my hostel was in Berlin).  Other than that- The weather was great, I enjoyed a good run.  The city skyline is pretty neat, some Russian type influence perhaps, and something I think I will remember about Berlin for years to come.

After the run I showered up and started some laundry.  A Roomate - "Mauritius Maxi" was waiting for me to head to dinner- we ended up grabbing stuff at the local supermarket to which I will say I had no idea what I was buying.  Everything was in German, there were no real familiar brands.  I kept reminding myself I was in Berlin, jumping on a plane doesn't always give you the correct feeling of distance and change.  This is a new feeling to me hopping planes - Europe - etc...  Trying to keep up with the changes and the information going through my head is a lot of processing.  I am doing my best to take in everything I see, and not just end up 38 days later with a blur.

On a random side note - I wish I could remember more names but meeting way too many people...  I have a thing where I like to remember people's names especially if they expect me to forget it.  This has been said to be the best practice of successful people - and I believe it is fairly true.

I am excited to see my friend Alain who is driving up from a city three hours south of Berlin.  Neither of us have been here before, and I have a couple plans including a visit to the reichstagg and I really want to see some of the World War Two time frame sites.  But right now I'm tired- real tired.  Site seeing may have to take a break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment