Monday, December 19, 2016

4: Cascada San Ramon

Day 4:
Had a great time chatting with Lucas as we sat up on top of the elevated "view platform" last night.  He told me about his polish history and I have to admit I really enjoyed it, I kind of want to go to Poland now.  I have always wanted to go to Poland, but his story about how they were caught between Germany and Russia, being attacked by Germany and relying on a treaty with Russia to help them they got double crossed and had lost to the two countries at both sides.  After the loss Poland was divided between Austria Germany and Russia, for 123 years they were not a country and after what I heard about Russian occupation in Budapest, I can only imagine these were not 123 good years.  Lucas said Germany and Russia killed many of the scholars in Poland and anyone who was important, yet they still taught and went to church underground, hidden from the occupying forces, eventually uprising and regaining their country back.  Once they got their country back Lucas said they were the only country friendly with the Jews and thus many Jews flocked there to avoid persecution from almost every European country; this made it a prime target for hitler in World War Two.  My history of Poland is a little spotty, but Lucas said they fought back against the Germans quite strongly.  Ok Wikipedia it said that the war started with the German invasion of Poland on sept 1, 1939 and Russia invading on sept 17, 1939 from the other side with Poland fighting for over a month holding back both sides until eventually losing, seems to support what Lucas said.  According to Lucas Poland didn't forget this, and still remember to this day, something I can agree with and useful knowledge that Greece and Turkey might want to know as they are currently having demonstrations with Russian influence.

The view up top was beautiful, we were far enough up to escape the noise of the flat ground and heard wind whistling as we carried on conversation.  Eventually he had to check the bar and I had to get some sleep.

I woke up after a solid nights sleep (my first solid night sleep in Nicaragua), saw that it was cloudy, and ordered some breakfast from the hostel restaurant (hostel life is good).  It seemed like it took a while but it was well worth it, the eggs were amazing, the rice and bacon on the side were also very enjoyable.  The menu explained that everything is natural, I think they grow everything here on the property and if not they get it from a neighbor that also grows on property.

After breakfast I worked with the motorcycle rental company that the hostel goes through so that the bike is dropped off for me in the morning and picked up at night- one less step for me.  Everything went quick and I was on my way to see the waterfall.  Once I got to the waterfall I decided to try to get a three hour event done in two, I started walking up with a birthday girl and her guide, and when she went to the store to get water I started running up.  The hike said three k, but it seemed a lot longer.  I marked the start and finish on navigation but forgot how to measure two points and don't want to take the time to figure it out as I'm running short on time today.  While running up (and walking of course) I went past a lot of people and chit chatted a bit, everyone wanted to talk today- lots of westerners.  I started thinking "wow this is a long three k" and asked someone how much further I had- they said it's a ways further - yikes.  I kept going and going and going until finally I was thinking I was at the top, and I thought, well it can't go forever, that would be a cool trick if it could though.

Finally I crested the top of the hill-first I saw a couple people-then I saw the falls... it was so picturesque, I didn't expect to see what I was seeing.  I was thinking of a traditional waterfall - this far surpassed any previous waterfall I have seen and I don't think it's possible to capture the beauty in a picture.  Wow.  It was well worth it (as everyone said on the way up).  Of course Niagara Falls was a different category that was impressively massive.  So much water at niagara, but this waterfall used the little water it had to paint a pretty picture.

I met a brother and sister from denver, that went to Michigan university and Purdue - I was framing a picture and they walked through it.  Instead of being mad I told them to pose and snapped the best pic of the day, then taught them about the Bluetooth photo transfer airplay on the iPhone. We walked together down the fall for a bit until I could run, then I left and I am kind of surprised I didn't get a Facebook from them but I was busy... I only have a little time to get things done.

I took advice from Roman and drove around the last part of the island (the only part I hadn't driven yet) on the way back.  Being the second day using the dirt bike, I felt way more confident and started really speeding through the dirt roads.  I was hitting 40, 60 and 80 kph at times but never felt that I was risking safety.  I made it back to the middle of the island and stopped at a really nice looking hotel for directions on where I can find the kayaking.  The guy at the desk was so nice and helpful I decided to skip kayaking (I wasn't that interested anyway) and eat dinner there.  I talked with him about his life on the island growing up and really enjoyed hearing his story.  I got chili con carne (beef chili over rice).  The place was one of the nicest places I've seen inNicaragua, the serving utensils and placemat were actually really good taste, the counter was quality granite, even the cupboards seemed really exquisite.   The meal was great.  This time I didn't want to miss the sunset, I got a pin on the map from the waiter and went on my way with plenty of time to spare.

Trying to find the pin was more difficult than it should have been.  I was looking early for diagonal routes and then missed the exact perpendicular route, and someone gave me wrong directions so I way over shot it until I hit the airport which was my backstop.  I knew if I hit the airport I went too far and I hit the airport.  I turned around then saw a huge sign, and a dirt road.  It was not clear if the sign meant turn on this road or if it was declaring an area, no arrows or specific guidance was listed.  When I saw the sign I was traveling way too fast to stop so I had to turn around to re-examine the sign and my gps map.  On my way back someone on a scooter pulled up and I almost hit them.  I used my front brake way too hard (again) as it had been working all weekend but this time I almost wiped out because it was all lose dirt/mud.  As it turned out it was a girl from the Netherlands, and I asked are you looking for this sunset too?  She replied she was, and we both thought this was it so I said let's check it out.  My bike was way faster than her scooter so I took off.  I stopped to take a picture and she caught up, but she didn't seem to care I was taking a picture and cruised right into my photo frame.  I took a pic of her riding her scooter then flew by her and told her I got a pic of her.

When I parked I got charged $1 for parking.  More annoying because I didn't have such small change than anything - I figured it would be easier to pay for two instead of getting all this change.  She arrived as I was finishing the receipts and I gave her the ticket.  She thanked me and we exchanged names, she was Kirsten and didn't know how to take her helmet off lol.  I helped her and we walked to check out the "best sunset" view.  We were pretty early so we took pics of each other with each other's cameras as the beach started filling up.  I have to admit she wasn't the best photographer but I think I got some good shots of her and at least she tried?  She was studying law and played field hockey.  She showed me a pic and I just thought it was adorable, since I played ice hockey it just seemed like a funny sport to me to play competitively on grass.  Apparently it's one of the most popular sports in Netherlands.

The sunset finished up and we split ways, I got her Facebook and went to the hostel.  At the hostel the hostel managers/owners and Lucas were making a local soup; I have really enjoyed this hostel, the team has really made me feel part of the family.  Kirsten got lost trying to find the hostel and told me to eat without her, I didn't know she was trying to walk I felt terrible.  I sent pics of the sunset to my two Spanish friends I had made and they were very jealous as they were supposed to meet me there but didn't show up, apparently they were trying to find a hostel all day and even tried my hostel but it was full.  It was true today my room was full- quite surprising actually.  I slept alone last night now I have like 6 roommates.

I ate my soup chit chatting with the hostel team then two Dutch guys asked where the city was.  I thought they were pretty cool and told them I'd go with and show them, turns out there were four of them, and we talked about Amsterdam and traveling while we walked to the city, us five.  It was about a fifteen minute walk and once we arrived the hostel central bar actually had a decent crowd.  I saw the Spanish girls and the two groups sat next to each other- it was nice to introduce the two groups and now I sit here writing while they all get to know each other- a good night.

 Some locals behind me asked me to chat with them and it took about a half hour, apparently the guy talking was a tour guide that had too much to drink and wanted to introduce me to a woman in his family. I told him we all had a girlfriend except Robin (Robin was the only single guy in the group other than me and also happened to be like 6'6).  The guy was really nice and the lady was pretty, I memorized their name to show respect and talked with them for a while...  they were really interested in talking and I enjoyed the conversation but I didn't enjoy worrying if I said something wrong I might offend them.  I didn't want to offend them and starting off by saying no to an offer of a guys family member didn't start me off right.

Thinking back I've really gotten along with Dutch people, and today I've met a lot.  Hanging out with these guys tonight was really easy... they talked about the different cultures that don't get them, and we all talked about the French.  Pretty much everyone has the same opinion about the French, and if you're curious to what I am talking about, just go to France and ask for directions or just about anything for that matter.

Earlier at the sunset, I asked Kirsten if she knew the 1-2-3 hand game a Dutch person taught me- not only did she know but she taught me add-ons.   Now at the city, II asked the Dutch guys and one of them knew it as well, and the Dutch kicked my butt..  It's been a good night.

Tomorrow I will zip line with the hostel team and then take off to Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica via bus.  I think, that once I arrive, the most unsafe part of my trip will be over.  I was only worried about Nicaragua and maybe Colombia.

I'm pretty tired and trying to get this written in order to keep track of where I'm at, trying to post once each day.  Good night from hostel central in Moyogalpa, Ometepe.

No comments:

Post a Comment