Friday, December 23, 2016

Day 8: arrive BOCAS del toro

Dec 22nd evening, puerto viejo, Costa Rica
This evening was a special one.  I spoke with a female Air Force officer, gained some ground on perspective of women in the military, helped a performer from the Bay Area who played with prince track down his equipment, had deep conversations about concepts of life and why we do things with a German, held a pow wow with the Argentinian and invited an 18 year old German to join - it's not often you see 18 year olds diving into deep conversations with people almost twice their age- this kid really impressed all of us and I have to think it might have something to do with his family and upbringing?  I met a French woman - talked to her a lot about French culture and the differences many of us travelers come to and what her thoughts on it were- she had a few strong thoughts which I greatly appreciated.  We all formed a bigger group and moved to the beach to have a bonfire after the live music.  The evening was quite simple and quite enjoyable, as we sat on the Costa Rican beach and let the time pass sharing stories and thoughts.  This was like the group I met in Istanbul - just a good mix of people and we are lucky to have met each other.

I went to bed late.  Woke up early, got everything set up for departure: I was heading to bocas del toro.  I waited for the receptionist but I felt I was getting used to the hotel not really putting much effort into reception so I decided to take off into the city to get an ATM and other things I needed to get done.  On the way to the ATM I saw a sign for Bocas del toro shuttles and decided to check it out.  The person working was very well spoken and I believe African American- he said he was from LA and I really respected his patience and professionalism.  We were able to get everything worked out (I also was looking for somewhere to print my plane ticket from Panama to Medellin which I needed for customs crossing into Panama) and I needed more cash so I said I would leave $20 and come back with another $9 since he said the spots may fill up while I was gone and I didn't know how far the ATM was.

When I returned there was a French family there and he asked if I knew French - I said ah no, (rolling my eyes) and everyone laughed.  Dang French.  They were able to work everything out in English and everyone was happy, the French family left and then my French friend walked by.  While I was finishing my booking two other girls stopped and asked about bocas del toro and said they were staying at rocking j's- the same place as me.  I didn't recognize them really and Javier (the guy helping us book) said I was also from there which brought on questions of where I am from etc.  they were from Germany and Chile and recommended a hostel for me to stay at once I got there.  I booked the hostel and then told them how to book the trip before they went to get cash so it doesn't sell out before they get back- they got the last two spots so it worked out well.

I grabbed some lunch and ran into Jenny from Germany who was checking out some bracelets.  I checked them out with her for a bit and decided I didn't favor them much, continued back to the hostel in time to run into Stefano from Argentina, Mich from Switzerland, and Jen from Hawaii (Air Force officer) where I ate my lunch that I had picked up along the way (Javier recommended a local place and dish).  Lunch was interesting- some sort of Caribbean stir fry is what it resembled - all I could think about was my stomach was probably going to be upset for a few more days.

I've got a lot of bites all over my legs, kind of sucks, also I used some Costa Rican bug lotion a guy I played pool with gave me which probably isn't healthy (I don't think any bug repellent is).

I introduced Mich to the German and Chilean women and they hit it off as he speaks every language.  Somewhere randomly I heard Vancouver BC and commented I really enjoyed that place- so did they; as much as travelers agree communicating with a French person can be delicate, they seem to also agree communicating with someone in Vancouver is very easy (they are really good people).

While walking through puerto viejo today, I really started to feel like I knew more of what was around me and could imagine what it would be like being a local.  I really enjoyed this small town and appreciated the memories I was associating here; I really have always appreciated Caribbean experiences, they have what I consider good chill music and chill atmospheres which appeal to me.

I was waving to numerous people I had met and gave hugs as I was leaving.  The staff had taken really good care of me while I was here and all were very kind as I checked out and said goodbyes.  Even though they were slow and sometimes not there to help me, they were at least really nice and meant well.

Once I got on the shuttle I sat up front by myself and typed some more notes for the blog.  I fell asleep and woke up when the bus was filling up; a guy named Frederick sat next to me from Stockholm and we chatted for the duration of the trip.  We drove by Mich and Stefano, so I stuck my head out the window and got their attention as we drove by- small town feeling.  The shuttle ride went fairly quickly, it took about an hour to pick up all twelve people in puerto viejo then another hour to the border and an hour to the water bus, with a 30 minute trip on the waterbus.  I got separated from the girls and had to wait for their Waterbus because they have my charger- I really don't like wasting time so I bought some sunglasses and an extra charging cord while I waited to be productive - then sat and wrote some of this blog.  Panama is an interesting place, I immediately liked it more than Costa Rica.  Boca del toro is exactly what I was looking for- my buddy Andy told me it was great so that is why I'm here, and I think he's right- everything about this place is giving good vibes; I'm looking forward to checking in, getting showered up, and investigating this island.  I wasn't able to take many pictures but bocas del toro (spelling) is very picturesque with nice looking buildings and waterfront restaurants, whereas the rest of the views in panama were also picturesque but had very poor housing and infrastructure.

Once I arrived at the hostel something interesting happened.  I checked in and he couldn't find my reservation- apparently there were two hostels with the name Selina and I reserved one on a secluded island called red frog.  He said he had some rooms available for around $77-$130 (my room was supposed to be $15) and I told him I would wait until the customers were done checking in.   After the last customer was helped an American- asian girl was staring at me, then taking pictures of herself and examining them, something strange I noticed and could only help but assuming where she was from.  Finally I asked her if she had been here a while and what I should do, she easily offered advice but I could tell it wasn't the advice that I was likely to take as my own direction.  Next she asked if I minded her cutting in front of me because she just had a "quick question".  Next thing I know she is booking the last two rooms in the hostel, and maintaining my balance I couldn't help but think this person is an unbalanced person, cutting in front to try to steal the last rooms...  she then tried to complain about the prices and asked if there were any other rooms several times like the answer was going to change.  I was politely waiting for them to be done and kind of checking other options for rooms.  I found a couple but nothing as convenient as this place (Selina was likely rated #1).  They were able to get one room for one night, and there were absolutely no rooms available tomorrow, same thing he told me before; They got the "last two".  After they left a guy named Jason came up and returned the remote, he kept looking at me and I engaged in conversation, saying, "man those two really messed with my chi".  When the receptionist was available I asked if he still had the Delux room for $130, he said he did (I assume he was saving it for me because he didn't offer it to them) and I said I suppose I will take it as those two cut in front of me and took the last rooms.  He said "let me see what I can do for you" and found a room for $30 for two nights... I checked into my room and it was the best hostel room I've ever seen with private restroom and balcony overlooking the water... from "full" to the best room for a great price...  I told him I love how the world works when you're patient...  I don't ever remember not getting a room at a hostel, I think they appreciate travelers that are patient and let people cut in front of them without complaining.

The hostel is great, really like it- kind of like a nice hotel for travelers.  I took the best shower I've had and got some room supplies at a store two blocks away, met up with Jason ( he was randomly one of my two roommates) and we will check out BOCAS del toro this evening.  Good evening from BDT Panama , hopefully snorkeling in the morning.

I don't have time to proofread :(

No comments:

Post a Comment