Saturday, December 17, 2016

Nicaragua Night 2

For a brief description of relevant locations at this hostel, it's on a lake.  The lake is surrounded by raised elevation almost like a crater.  This creates a nice seclusion and backdrop.  There are only a couple visible establishments on this lake, and the water is crystal clear/warm.  So far I haven't been bit by a single mosquito and I can't really believe it.  By all normal standards I would expect to get devoured.  I don't know if it just isn't mosquito season or if Central America is not as bad as Africa as far as mosquitos go.  There is only one spot with wifi on this acre and a half or so lot on a hill: it is centralized and isolated by itself on a raised platform by the check in so most of the time you just don't have wifi which actually is kind of nice.  The temperature is really peculiar - it's trying to make me feel cold but overall muggy and tropical- if that makes any sense.  It's definitely warm: I'm sweating, but there's a coolness that almost feels cold... interesting.  The smell in the air is strong of life: dirt mostly with some fires in the background and that humid smell southerners know so well when you wake up early and can smell the humidity (dew).

Today, I feel like I did nothing by my standards.  I went for a swim and just stared into the lake for hours not moving.  Then I swam out to the wooden platform and laid there for about thirty minutes.  I saw rain coming (enough time in the woods teaches you to predict the weather with occasional accuracy.. aka I can see a huge mist coming that blocks the other side of the lake).  I dove into the water and held my breath for a while and swam back.  Once I got back on land I got a couple drinks - pina colada (expensive $4)and a strawberry mojito ($4).  The pina colada was awesome, I asked Gabriel the bartender for a piece of the pineapple he was cutting up and I realized I've had Hawaiian pineapple, Thai pineapple, African pineapple, Mexican pineapple and now Nicaraguan pineapple.  Each one tastes surprisingly different with African pineapple leading the way (when it's not overripe and sour).  This came in a sweet second.  (Side note I'm happy to say this place reminds me more of Minnesota than Africa, except no mosquitos... still can't believe it)

While getting those drinks I saw a sign that said ten dollar massages for thirty minutes.  I was unable to book a massage before I left California and I inquired at the front desk here, they said be ready at 3 o'clock.  I thought that was a ways away and started planning when they told me ten minutes.  I guess time warped and it was already 2:50pm. I fell asleep during my massage and felt great when I woke up.  I went to the patio to check my wifi and remembered that I had some books to read that school made me procrastinate on.  I texted lane and asked for the book he recommended and tried finding it on kindle but ran into some wifi issues and gave up.  No worries, I have a hundred books I need to read so I just worked on one I had already started.  I read for a couple hours with a gorgeous view and randomly felt like running.  It was about 5:45 when I started and the sun was beginning to set.  All the toilets were broken so I ran on a full bladder and it magically emptied en route.  I ran for about a mile around a portion of the lake until it started getting a bit too dark and I started to wonder how many things could kill me out here as the road ended and turned into a narrow, less than enticing dirt path.  I ran a little further using the lack of light as motivation to run faster home, and turned around.  I made great time and was sweating profusely: mission accomplished.  I did some yoga stretches when I got back at the top of the property (no one is up there) and then did some dips, crunches and push-ups.  I went back to the room to shower and all running water was still broken.  My new roommate that I had not met until now recommended I swim off the sweat, she was from Netherlands but sounded French to me.  Her name was unpronounceable and she just said call her marty.  I checked in with the front desk and let them know the water was still not working and double checked my booking for the ometepe shuttle in the morning; thankfully some other guests booked the shuttle to Costa Rica so I can hop on with them and they will drop me at ometepe.

I went downstairs to swim and told the bartender I was going to drink and swim and he just laughed.  Side note I love how there are no liability wavers, lifeguards, or warnings out here if makes me feel like I'm not being babysat- though I understand these things are important, I sometimes like to just be free.  I sat down and was impressed with the view, the entire sky was filled with stars, the night was filled with thick noise from frogs, crickets, and the like.  The clouds have dissipated and the flatness of the lake provides large views of the sky that are only visible from the beach.  I went back to the bar to order my dinner, a pepperoni pizza, and I checked the sky but couldn't see a single star from the bar due to roofing and trees... for hours I've been sitting here alone just marveling in the beauty that no one else is looking at, as usually there are mass crowds at a good view - I'm not shy to keep them all to myself when no one else cares to join.  The temperature couldn't be better, and somehow, there isn't one bug bothering me in this tropical climate!  I still cannot believe it.

So I have the beach alone.  My pizza arrived and I ate the whole thing (while randomly thinking about math and physics)... It was one of the best pizzas I've ever had ($7).  Earlier I ordered and ate Vietnamese pork, mashed potatoes and rice.  The food here is great.  The pizza was definitely hand made and the dough was as good as I could ask for.  This place is a hidden gem; I would love to come back.  I couldn't be more "chill".  I haven't talked much all day and I like it.  Everyone is in their own little zen.

Good night from zen lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment