Saturday, December 17, 2016

Arriving in Laguna de Apoyo

Day 2
My roommate woke me up for breakfast and then recommended I catch an early bus from UCA to Granada and then link up with the hostel bus to boca en boca.  I ate some corn flakes with sour milk, washed my face, packed what little I had out, paid my bill and the guard took me to the bus stop for $3.  As the guard dropped me off he pointed at a full bus and said "Granada".  I paid literally less than a dollar for the bus ride from UCA to Granada. There were two guys that operated the bus - a driver and a guy that packed everyone in.  I have met many people like the guy that was loading the bus he's a hustler and hilarious.  He took my bag and put it up front then told me to go in back and I just looked at him clueless as he yelled at me.  after he calmed down I pointed at my bag and ina universal language said I'm not leaving it more than arms length away from me.  He gave up and probably said some curses.  After a few minutes I just laughed and he laughed with me.  This morning reminded me so much of Africa I couldn't wait to get to the beach.  I'm sitting here in the bus checking out the country as we drive through - it just looks really rough to live here.  I'm really looking forward to getting to a more happy place.  Apparently I'm really going to like Granada.  It was not on my destination however it's on my way and my roommate recommended it.  Her and I really got into some heavy conversation after I posted my last blog about relationships and life, it was really nice and equally appreciated.

After getting off the bus I figured it would be easier to find a shuttle over to Laguna de Apoyo but I missed my connection and there were no buses in sight.  I walked around granada long enough to decide there were no places I wanted to eat and hopped in a taxi driven by a kind older looking gentleman.  He negotiated with me politely and we agreed on around $15 - we stopped by a gas station and I found it to be quite upscale... something like America would have.  The prices were local and I got lunch, a week's worth of peanuts, large water and microwave popcorn (random I know....) for about $10.  Lunch was shredded beef on rice with brown beans and two fried banana looking things.  At first I started eating cautiously but then I kind of figured if I can't eat this food I won't eat for a month and I devoured the entire package minus the fried banana looking things (likely some kind of vegetable).

The taxi ride took a while but I arrived to Paradiso Hostel.  It's out in the middle of no where and on a lake, beautiful view I posted on Facebook and self sustaining.  Restaurant and everything you need here... I am quite thankful for that.  This is what I was looking for, thank you to my first roommate, it is time to relax and go for a swim.  Kayaks are free to use, I do not find kayaking favorable for the most part but maybe I will check it out.

Likely it will be an early night and tomorrow I'm trying to find someone to reserve the shuttle to ometepe because they need two people minimum, $15 to the ferry.  I am excited to climb the volcano.

Have a pleasant day from Laguna de Apoyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment