Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Escobar's Brother (Medellin Day 1)

Dec 27 2016
Last night I met a few groups of women randomly while trying to find food and thought they were very attractive and also really nice.  They were interested in America and spoke decent English.

Today I went on a tour and was blown away.  I got to see Pablo's grave, meet one of his old drivers, meet his brother, and talk to them as much as I wanted.  I didn't have a lot of questions because they did a great job explaining little details about money, fears, government, etc...  I do appreciate the interconnectedness of life, how one can learn from others experiences, and through my own experiences understand someone else's.  What a great day...  I did not expect to have such close contact with people, especially his brother.  I was worried I wouldn't even find anything with Pablo Escobar but I got to get his brothers signature and talk with him at his house.  Colombia has really impressed me- of course every single person that has impressed me has also given a warning that there still exists corruption- but it's a lot better.  I don't think I'd want to live here but visiting has been really unique.  The layout of the city is amazing...  and some of the conversations I've had have reinforced and also expanded my own beliefs/experiences... I am very thankful for that.

I met some Canadian officers from the Canadian military academy and appreciated conversing with them.  I am slowly talking more about the military but I don't have a lot to say, just some stories that are really unique and a unique perspective even for soldiers.  They were well traveled, well educated, well mannered, and had a lot of experience, it was good to meet them; traveling is good for these types of experiences and exchanging of cultures... they shared some of the differences with their experiences and I shared some of mine, answering some of their questions, some of mine, and questions we didn't even know we had.

I am pretty excited that I took this trip, today was just the icing on the cake; if I do nothing else - this trip was a success... but I am not even half way through yet.  It is too late to go paragliding so I think I will go for a run / exercise at this park nearby that is outside and has weights chained for the public to use for free.  Looking forward to a good meal tonight in this neighborhood everyone keeps speaking so highly about.

Edit: I forgot to mention all the conversations about Colombia, one thing in particular about how they don't believe in life in prison, and how these guys actually seem really peaceful and with good intentions.  They don't seem like vicious criminals and expand my thoughts towards prison systems.  The logic of right and wrong, and thus error, further contemplates in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment